Nursery Education Grant funded places are available from the term after children reach their third birthday. For children who cannot claim funding the fee is currently £12.75 per 3 hour session for 3 and 4 year olds and £16.50 for 2 year olds.
We offer morning or afternoon sessions every weekday, each lasting 3 hours and attended by a maximum of 40 children. Each session is structured to include time for free play, outdoor play, snack time and a story.
At The Saplings Preschool we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage.
This is a play-based curriculum that is for children from birth to the end of the Reception Year (the school year in which your child turns the age of 5 years). It focuses on four areas:
- A Unique Child: Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Positive relationships: Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships.
- Enabling Environments: Children learn and develop well in enabling environments in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and Parents and or Carers.
- Learning and Development: Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
Within 'Learning and Development' there are seven curriculum areas which we cover through both the indoor and outdoor learning environments. All areas of learning are important and interconnected. However, three areas are particularly crucial. These are known as the three prime areas which are those most essential for your child's healthy development and future learning. They are:
- Personal, Social and Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
As children grow, the prime areas will help them to develop skills in four specific areas, they are:
- Understanding the world
- Expressive Arts and Design
The seven areas of learning help practitioners to plan the learning environment, activities and experiences providing a framework for children to work towards the 'Development Matters' statements in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Our environment is carefully planned and structured to support the development of young children. Play helps children to learn, grow and understand the world around them, helping them to develop socially and emotionally. By providing plenty of opportunity for fun activities such as singing, listening to stories, exploring letters and numbers, and having fun with friends, children will be given the best start in their early education. It may appear that children are "just playing", but this is how young children learn. Play is a child's work and by ensuring we promote and follow children's interests we will be able to provide fun and exciting opportunities for learning.
The following link provides a friendly guide to the EYFS for Parents and Carers:
Special Educational Needs
The Saplings welcomes children from all Special Education Need and Disabilities (SEND) backgrounds. The Saplings is an inclusive pre-school and offers a safe and stimulating environment for children with SEND, including Autism and Down syndrome.
We are supported by the local authority helping children with additional needs and a variety of professionals, including Speech and Language Therapists, who work with the staff to secure the best outcome for these children. By pooling this varied expertise and understanding, we provide a caring and appropriate curriculum for each child. Training for SEND is ongoing and is part of our belief in the importance of continuing professional development.
Please contact our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCO) Mrs Maria Gibbons for further information.