British Values & our value for the month
To further support our School Values and our promotion of 'British Values', we think about and celebrate one of our 22 values each month, often linking them with different events and festivals, both locally and around the world.
We look at the value in assembly and in class and we aim to ‘live’ that value in the way we work with others in school.
In December 2020 our value is... Care and Compassion
Learning about Care and Compassion
At school, we are talking to the children about being aware of times when our friends need us to listen and act with compassion. We are thinking about how we might step into another person’s shoes in order to understand how they feel. This will help us to provide positive support for that person. We are discussing how compassion extends to helping other nations in difficult times, for instance during famine or floods.
We are asking parents/carers at home to send in a note if they think their child has engaged with this month’s value – care and compassion. We will celebrate some of their achievements in assembly (if they are happy with this). Examples might be:
Not just feeling sorry for someone, but actually taking steps to help them
Showing compassion by listening carefully and empathetically to their peers
Carrying out an act of kindness in recognition of a particular person’s need
Showing compassion for people in other countries, perhaps getting involved in charity work.
What people have said about care and compassion
- Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. ― Desmond Tutu
- Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.― Plato
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.― Aesop
- Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others. – Plato
- A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside. -Denis Waitley
- Without a sense of caring, there can be no sense of community. Anthony J. D'Angelo
- My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. Dalai Lama
- At the end of the day, love and compassion will win. Terry Waite
- Every human should have the idea of taking care of the environment Dalai Lama