British Values & our value for the month
To further support our School Values and our promotion of 'British Values', we think about and celebrate one of our 22 values each month, often linking them with different events and festivals, both locally and around the world.
We look at the value in assembly and in class and we aim to ‘live’ that value in the way we work with others in school.
In October 2021 our value is... ambition
Learning about ambition
At school, we have talked to the children about being ambitious in relation to their work and hobbies. An ambitious child has the patience and perseverance to achieve the goal they are striving for. They are willing to take small steps and use their growth mindset to achieve their ultimate goal.
We are asking parents/carers at home to send in a note if they think their child has demonstrated ambition, describing how they demonstrated this value. We will celebrate some of their achievements in assembly (if they are happy with this). Examples might be:
Staying positive if something stops or temporarily hinders them from achieving their ambition – e.g. they don’t get picked for the team they want to play for or they aren’t chosen for the role they had in mind.
Taking steps to overcome the barriers that are preventing them from achieving their ambition – e.g. they practise their goalkeeping skills in order to gain a position in a football team.
Setting themselves small targets in order to achieve a bigger one – e.g. being able to run 50 metres, then 100m and so on in order to be able to run 2km.
What people have said about ambition...
- Big results require big ambitions. Heraclitus
- Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings. Salvador Dali
- Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in. Bill Bradley
- If you have a burning ambition…absolutely anything can be achieved. Jahangir Khan
- Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen… others make it happen. Michael Jordan
- It has been a long journey, but if you dream and have the ambition and want to work hard, then you can achieve. Mo Farah