Skip to content ↓
slideshow imageslideshow imageslideshow imageslideshow image

Leave of Absence Requests

Amendments to school attendance regulations

Amendments have been made to the 2006 regulations in the Education (Pupil Registration)(England)(Amendment) Regulations 2013.  These amendments, as described below, will come into force on 1st September 2013.

Term Time Holiday

The Education (Pupil Registration)(England) Regulations 2006 currently allow Headteachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in “special circumstances” of up to ten school days leave per year.  Headteachers can also grant extended leave for more than ten school days in exceptional circumstances.

Amendments to the 2006 regulations remove references to family holiday and extended leave as well as the statutory threshold of ten school days.  The amendments make clear that Headteachers MAY NOT grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The Education (Penalty Notices) (England) Regulations 2007

Amendments have been made to the 2007 Regulations in the Education (Penalty Notices) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013.  These amendments, as described below, will come into force on 1st September 2013.

The 2007 regulations set out the procedures for issuing penalty notices (fines) to each parent who fails to ensure their children’s regular attendance at school or fails to ensure that their excluded child is not in a public place during the first five days of exclusion.  Parents must pay £60 if they pay within 28 days; or £120 if they pay within 42 days.

Amendments to 2007 regulations will reduce the timescales for paying a penalty notice.  Parents must, from 1st September 2013, pay £60 within 21 days or £120 within 28 days.  This brings attendance penalty notices into line with other types of penalty notices and allows local authorities to act faster on prosecutions.


If you wish to apply to take your child out of school during term time, please read the Central Bedfordshire Guidlines below and then print out, complete and return the Application For Leave form to the school office.